mardi gras makeup tips
Like this design? Create an Evite invitation with this image.
Carnival season is here, and you’re probably looking for a new way to dress up your Mardi Gras beads. Leave the face painting and stenciling to the professionals. It’s easy enough to look the part if you play up eyes with the rich hues of the holiday. Whether you’ll be parading in the streets of New Orleans or attending a masquerade party, get creative with these festive yet simple makeup tips:
- Opt for an eye shadow in royal purple, emerald green or gold and pat the eye shadow all over your eye lid up into the crease. Sweep on an iridescent shadow to highlight your brow bone.
- Amp up the drama and add a gel-based glitter on top of the eye shadow like Sephora Eye-Glitter Gel in Green or Gold. (What’s a Mardi Gras costume without the glitter, really?)
- Line eyes with a glitter eye pencil in gold or teal. If glitter eye shadow is too over the top for you, use a creamy eye pencil like Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil to line around your top and bottom lash line in a complementary shade instead.
- Finish off with a strip of colorful feather lashes like the spectacular array by Make Up For Ever. If you’re wearing an eye mask, skip the faux lashes and go for mascara with a hint of glimmer like Rimmel Lash Bling in Gold Digger.
- Dust a healthy dose of mauve-colored blush on cheekbones. Apply a creamy highlighter above the cheekbones to give skin some sheen.
- Wearing a Mardi Gras mask is the perfect excuse to draw some attention to your lips. Choose a bold lip color like fuchsia, coral or red. Layer a glitter-based gold or copper gloss on top. (If you don’t have one, make your own by mixing a clear lip gloss with gold glitter.)
Now you’re ready to celebrate Fat Tuesday in style. And as the saying goes, “Laissez les bons temps rouler” or “Let the good times roll.”