grownups just want to have fu-un
Eviter Miya asks, “I want to throw a slumber party for my closest girlfriends (keep in mind we are not teenagers; we are all in our late 20s). I could really use some suggestions for themes, favors, games, food, etc. The only thing I have that is concrete so far is a signature drink! ‘Slumberpartini.’ Help!!!”
Oh, my slumber party days of yore! I’ve long wanted to throw a slumber party for my adult girlfriends. Here’s how I’d do it.
- While I’m a big fan of unusual themes, here I think it’s best to go with the obvious: Re-create a super-girlie slumber party of your youth.
- For food, childhood favorite are easy, cheap and retro-tastic: peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with the crusts cut off, Twinkies, baby carrots with ranch dip, and popcorn. And while these magic grapes may not have been a staple at your past slumber parties, they seem fitting. Check out even more slumber party snack food here. Also, there’s no shame in taking the easy way out and simply ordering pizzas.
- Decorate your place with posters of teen heartthrobs, current or past. If you can find vintage posters of Jason Bateman circa Teen Wolf Too and Ricky Schroder from his Silver Spoons days, all the better. If not, I’m sure a poster of Zac Efron is easy enough to find.
- Ask everyone to bring their makeup kits and have glamour hour with everyone applying each other's makeup. Or just go for manis and pedis instead. And be sure to have a stack of magazines like Glamour and Tiger Beat for everyone to flip through. (So sad Sassy is no longer around….)
- Play a favorite film from your teen or pre-teen years. I’ll always have a soft spot for Girls Just Want to Have Fun, The Goonies, Grease and Dirty Dancing, but I’d also be down for a film forbidden in my youth, like Nightmare on Elm Street and Gremlins, which spawned the PG-13 rating.
- For favors, Lipsmacker lip gloss and/or Wet n Wild nail polish are sure to be a hit.
- As for games, there’s only one way to go: the Ouija Board. And if that creeps you out too much, just pick up the phone and prank call some boys.